GPISD Student Admissions Department
Welcome to the Galena Park ISD Student Admissions Department
The mission of the Galena Park Independent School District Student Admissions Department is to provide our community members and district personnel with exemplary support and assistance with student admissions. The main focus of the Student Admissions Department is to assist in making the student enrollment process as efficient and expeditious as possible.
Enrolling in Galena Park ISD
Galena Park ISD welcomes all new and returning students. Classes for the 2013-2014 school year begin on Monday, August 26, 2013.
All children five years of age and younger than 21 years of age on the first day of September of any school year and whose parents or legal guardians are residents of the Galena Park Independent School District will be admitted free of tuition to the public schools.
A child must be enrolled by the child’s parent, guardian, or other person with legal control under a court order. The District shall record the name, address, and date of birth of the person enrolling the child. If you are not the parent or legal guardian of a child seeking enrollment, call the Student Admissions Department for assistance.
Prekindergarten – a child must be four years old on or before September 1, 2013, and meet eligibility
requirements. Prekindergarten is a half-day program.
Kindergarten – a child must be five years old on or before September 1, 2013. Kindergarten is a full day
First Grade – a child must be six years old on or before September 1, 2013.
2013-2014 Registration Dates and Times
For the 2013-2014 school year all registration will be held at the campus your child should attend. If you are unsure which school your child will attend, click this link http://www.galenaparkisd.com/mycampus or call the Student Admissions Department.
Each campus has designated specific dates and times for new student enrollment. Click here to view a schedule of dates and times for the 2013-2014 school year.
New Student Pre-Enrollment
Parents/Legal guardians are encouraged to pre-enroll their child using the web form, GPISD New Student Pre-Enrollment. This web form is for students new to the Galena Park Independent School District. For online pre-enrollment go the following link: https://dev.galenaparkisd.com/reg_pre_enroll/entry/index.php.
Once the web form is completed, review and print the electronic Confirmation of Electronic New Student Pre-Enrollment Information document. The confirmation document is a verification of student information submitted. It DOES NOT confirm that the student is officially enrolled in school. Bring the printed electronic Confirmation of Electronic New Student Pre-Enrollment Information document and required residency and enrollment documents to the appropriate Galena Park ISD campus.
Proof of Residency
Galena Park ISD requires parents/legal guardians to provide proof of residency at the time of enrollment. Proof of residency documents required vary depending on the current living situation of each family.
Homeowners provide a utility bill and a valid Texas Drivers License or Identification Card. Acceptable utility bills are electric, gas, and water. All other commodity bills are not accepted. The utility bill provided must include the customer name and the service address and must be of recent date. Welcome letters from service providers or disconnection notices are not accepted.
Renters provide a lease agreement or a rental contract and a valid Texas Drivers License or Identification Card. Lease agreements/rental contracts must include the term of the lease/contract, the physical address of the property, the list of all occupants, the signatures of both, the lessee/renter, and the lesser/landlord, as well as the contact information of the lesser/landlord. Expired leases/contracts are not acceptable.
A parent/legal guardian leasing or renting, but are unable to provide a lease agreement or rental contract, are required to provide a notarized statement from the homeowner verifying residency of all occupants of the property.
A parent/legal guardian living with a Galena Park ISD homeowner and do not qualify for McKinney-Vento are required to provide a notarized Verification of Address Affidavit. Forms are available online or from each campus.
Required Enrollment Documents
To enroll your child, you must personally go to the campus your child will attend with the required documents listed below.
- Proof of residency – all required supporting documents
- Valid Texas Driver’s License or Identification Card – with current Galena Park ISD address
- Child’s Birth Certificate or equivalent
- Social Security card – requested but not required
- Immunization Records – designating that child is current on all required immunizations
- Report Card (last received)
- Testing documents
- Transcript (if applicable)
- Withdrawal Form (if applicable)
- Confirmation of Electronic New Student Pre-Enrollment Information document – (if applicable)
To be eligible for the Prekindergarten Program, a child must be four years of age by September 1 and meet an eligibility requirement as determined by Texas law. No exceptions can be made.
Consideration to qualify for the Prekindergarten Program is based on a first come basis. A parent or legal guardian is required to place his/her child on a list for prekindergarten consideration.
- Difficulty speaking/comprehending English (testing required and will be administered at registration)
- Educationally (economically) disadvantaged – includes:
- Families meeting National Free or Reduced-Price Lunch Program guidelines
- Foster children
- Homeless – as defined by 42 U.S.C Section 11302
- Child of an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States
- Child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- Child is or has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) in the State of Texas following an adversary hearing under Family Code Section 262.201
Required Documents for Prekindergarten Enrollment
- Current Proof of Residency (see Proof of Residency listed above)
- Immunization Records
- Child’s Certified Birth Certificate
- Child’s Social Security card
- Parent’s/Legal guardian’s Texas Driver’s License or Identification card
- Printed electronic Confirmation of Electronic New Student Pre-Enrollment Information document – if applicable
- Proof of Income* (Current payroll check stub or letter from employer stating gross wages paid and how often paid)
- Department of Defense Identification **
- Copy of Death Certificate from Department of Defense/memorandum signed by the Casualty Office ***
* If applying for admission based on educationally (economically) disadvantaged
** If service member is on active duty
*** If service member was injured or killed while serving on active duty
Presenting a false document or false records in connection with enrollment is a criminal offense under Penal Code §37.10 (Tampering with Governmental Records) and that enrolling the child under false documents makes the person liable for tuition or other costs.
In addition to the penalty under Penal Code §37.10, a person who knowingly falsifies information on a form required for a student’s enrollment in the District is liable to the District if the student is not eligible for enrollment, but is enrolled on the basis of false information. For the period during which the ineligible student is enrolled, the person is liable for the maximum tuition fee the District may charge or the amount the District has budgeted per student as maintenance and operating expenses, whichever is greater.
Student Admissions Department Contacts
District Registration Officer
Student Admissions Clerk
Student Admissions Department Hours of Operation
Monday thru Friday
8:00 am – 4:00 am (school year)
7:30 am - 4:45 pm (summer hours)