Modified Early College Academy (MECA)
The Modified Early College Academy (MECA) is a dual credit program that provides the opportunity for students to earn an associate degree at the same time they are earning a high school diploma. This two year program begins the summer following a student's sophomore year. Students are classified as full-time college students and part-time high school students. Students attend classes at San Jacinto College North from 7 am until 10 am daily. The students then shuttle back to the high school campuses to complete the remainder of the school day.
Who can apply?
In order to apply for the MECA program, students must successfully pass Pre-AP Algebra II at the end of their sophomore year. Students must also meet the requirements of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment. Students may also be eligible to participate based on their performance on the ACT or STAAR English II, Algebra II or English III EOC scores.
Steps to Apply
Step 1: Students must complete the Apply Texas Application online to begin the summer following their sophomore year in high school. www.applytexas.org Step 2: Students must successfully pass the TSIA exam. The assessment will be given at San Jacinto College or on scheduled dates at the high school campuses.Step 3: Students must submit proof of a current Bacterial Meningitis vaccination before being eligible to attend any college classes.Step 4: A dual credit request form signed by the student, parent, and high school administrator must be submitted.Step 5: Once all items are submitted, the Dual Credit Office will review the information, contact the student to schedule an interview, and notify the student regarding admittance into the program.
A MECA student must successfully complete the college courses as well as the high school course. The following must be considered when applying for the program.
- At least 2-3 hours must be dedicated daily to homework and studying to complete the college coursework.
- Students must attend all college classes even when the high school campus is closed. i.e. Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Week, President's Day, etc.
- Students are required to attend all scheduled college classes even if the high school campus is closed.
- Students are considered full-time college students and part-time high school students; therefore, students must successfully complete both.
- In order to stay in the program, students must earn a grade of D or better in each college course.