What is the TSIA?The TSI Assessment (TSIA) is an exam designed to help determine if students are ready for college-level course work in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. Students entering college for the first time in Texas are required to take the TSI Assessment to determine his/her readiness for college-level work. Students who meet the exemption requirements listed below are not required to take the TSI Assessment. Based on performance, students may enroll into college-level courses without needing remediation.
Texas Success Initiative ExemptionsExemptions are subject-specific which means students may qualify for an exemption in one subject area such as mathematics but not in another area such as reading or writing. Students may be exempt if one or more of the following requirements is met:
- He/She scores a 23 or higher on the ACT composite and a minimum of 19 on the English and/or math sections;
- He/She earns a minimum score of 480 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) portion of the SAT administered after March 2016 and/or a minimum score of 530 on the Mathematics section (no combined score is needed);
- On the Evidence-based reading and writing (EBRW) portion of the PSAT/NMSQT, earning a score of 460 will be evidence of college readiness in both reading and writing. A mathematics score of 510 will be evidence of readiness in math, or
- Enroll in a certificate program of one year or less (Level One certificates) at a public institution.
Mandatory Pre-Assessment ActivityBefore taking the TSI Assessment, students must complete a Pre-Assessment Activity. The test administering campus is required to provide the Pre-Assessment Activity and document student participation. It is a requirement for students to complete this activity before taking the test.
The Pre-Assessment Activity for the Texas Success Initiative Assessment allows the following:
- Students will learn about the information assessed on the TSI Assessment and why it is important to do well.
- Students will be informed about the exemption criteria.
- Students will get practice with same test questions.
- Students will find out about testing times and locations.
- Students will receive a certificate for completing the mandatory activity.
Access the Pre-Assessment Activity
Practice ActivitiesThese free TSI practice tests are designed to help prepare for the Texas Success Initiative Assessment. These online practice tests are interactive with automatic scoring. Detailed explanations are included along with each answer. http://www.tsipracticetest.com/
The College Board offers sample questions in each tested area for students to reference. http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org
Passing StandardCollege Ready Scores
TSIA: Reading - 351 or higher; Essay - 4 or higher; Math - 350 or higher
TSIA2: ELAR - 945 or higher and/or Diagnostic Score of 5 or higher; Essay - 5 or higher; Math - 950 or higher
Releasing TSIA scores to other institutionstudents who take the TSI Assessment at North Shore Senior School or Galena Park High School may have their scores released to other colleges or universities. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the College Board requires written consent from the student in order for another institution to retrieve test scores from Galena Park ISD. This process can take up to 72 hours. A completed TSI Cross-Institutional Score Report Request Form from the requesting college or university must be sent to the Testing Center at the college/university.
To locate this form for a particular college/university, GOOGLE - TSI Cross-Institutional Score Report Request Form along with the name of the college or university.
Links to the TSIA Score Release Forms for a few colleges are available below:
Houston Community College
Prairie View A&M University
Sam Houston State University
San Jacinto College
Stephen F. Austin State University
Texas A & M University - College Station Scores may be faxed to 979-845-6419 or call 979-845-0532
Texas A & M - Corpus Christi
Texas A & M University - Kingsville
Texas Southern University
Texas State University
Texas Tech University
After you have taken the TSI Assessment, you will need to turn your scores in to the TSI Compliance Office. Their office is located in West Hall Room 103A and they can be contacted at (806) 742-3661 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
University of Houston- Clear Lake - Call 281.283.3080
University of Houston- Downtown
University of Houston- Main Campus
Submit unofficial documentation to TSI@uh.edu for an unofficial review well in advance of orientation
University of North Texas
University of Texas at Austin
University of Texas at San Antonio
Go to the authorization link on ASAP, fill out the necessary information, and submit. There is a $20.00 fee for each request to download scores.
West Texas A&M