Get involved. Be heard.
Citizens are encouraged to attend Board meetings and take an active role in the community. Those who wish to address the Board may do so during regular monthly meetings.
Public Comment Request at Board Meetings
If you have a concern, the best place to begin is with those directly involved, usually at the specific school -- with the teacher and/or principal. Most problems or concerns can be quickly resolved at the campus level.
Public participation at board meetings is limited to the designated "Audience Item" portion of the meeting. Anyone wishing to participate in this portion of the meeting shall present a completed Public Comment Request Form to the Board President's Designee prior to the beginning of the meeting and shall indicate the topic about which they wish to speak. At all other times, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board.
Procedures regarding Citizen Participation at a Board of Trustees meeting are disclosed to you. They are as follows:
- Public Comments are limited to the audience items portion of the meeting;
- Persons who wish to participate in this portion must sign up with the President's designee before the meeting begins and shall include the topic they wish to speak about;
- No presentation shall exceed three minutes;
- Delegations of more than three persons shall appoint one person to present their views;
- The Board will not entertain comments concerning:
- Individual personnel or students; Presentations may not use the name of, or address the character of any student, staff or Board member;
- Complaints or concerns which are covered by other policies;
- The Board will not take any action on items presented under Public Comments; and
- Reasonable restraints on the number, length and frequency of presentations are permissible.
Participation Request Forms are available through the Galena Park I.S.D. Communication Services Department.