Familes in Transition Referral Guide

  • Galena Park I.S.D. Homeless Liaison
    Program Director of Student Support Services
    Nicole Johns

    Valuable Resources

    Texas Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program
    Federal McKinney-Vento Act and Texas Law

    Did you know the federal McKinney-Vento Act and Texas state law guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live in a shelter, motel, in a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss, in an abandoned building, a car, etc.

    If you live in one of these temporary arrangements because of loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason, you can continue to attend your school of origin or enroll in the school your temporary address is zone to, even if you are unable to produce records normally required for enrollment, such as previous academic records, medical records, proof of residency, or other documentation.

    Student Support Referral

    Children’s Protective Services (CPS):
    Department of Family and Protective Services
    Location: 2525 Murworth, Houston 77054
    Report allegations of abuse and neglect:
    Call: 800-252-5400 

    CHIP (TexCare) 
    Phone: 877-543-7669 
    Children’s health insurance

    North Channel Assistance Ministries:
    Address:1383 Bonham 77015.
    Food, clothing, and referral services.

    Gulf Coast Community Services Association 
    Phone: 713-393-4700 
    Address: 9320 Kirby Dr. Houston 77054
    Assistance with food, mortgage, rent, and clothing. Also GED and ESL classes.

    Harris County Social Services 
    Phone: 713-696-7900 
    Address: 9418 Jensen, Houston 77093 Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. 
    Emergency assistance with rent, utilities, emergency shelter, nursing homes, indigent burial, medical transportation, prescription assistance for seniors, Adults with Disabilities Program, and veteran services.

    Texas Information and Referral 
    Phone: 713-957-4357 
    Emergency Food/Shelter Program (United Way)
    Hotline: 211

    Gulf Coast Community Services Association 
    Phone: 713-393-4700
    Address: 9320 Kirby Dr. Houston 77054
    Food pantry, rental & utility assistance.

    WIC State Program 

    Workforce Solutions 
    Job Placement Assistance.

    Texas Health & Human Services of Houston
    Phone: 713-767-2095
    TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)

    Bay Area Homeless Services 
    Shelter Intake: 281-837-1654
    Address: 3406 Wisconsin, Baytown 77520

    Housing Authority of Houston Information Line 
    Phone: 713-260-0600  
    Address: 2640 Fountainview, Suite 230, Houston 77057
    Call to ask about required documentation: 
    713-260-0701 Low cost apartment and housing for families and the elderly.

    S.E.A.R.C.H. Resource Center 
    Phone: 713-739-7752 
    Address: 2505 Fannin, Houston 77002 
    Full facility day shelter, Mon – Fri only.

    Star of Hope Women & Family Shelter 
    Phone: 713-748-0700
    *Headquarters 6897 Ardmore, Houston 77054

    The Bridge 
    Phone: 713-472-0753  
    Address: 3811 Allen Genoa Rd, Pasadena 77504
    Emergency shelter for one month for 100 women and children who are battered or homeless.
    All services are free.

    Houston Area Women’s Center (HAWC) 
    Main Number: 713-528-6798 
    Address: 1010 Waugh, 77019 Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, Sat. 8:30am-5:30pm

    Domestic Violence/Family Violence Hotline: 713-528-2121

    Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis: 
    Phone: 713-528-7273 
    Shelter and counseling services for domestic & sexual violence survivors and their children.
    Free walk-in counseling every Tuesday 1:30-7:00pm.

    Catholic Charity 
    Address: 2900 Louisiana St, Houston, TX 77006
    Phone: (713) 526-4611
    Supportive Counseling, refugees and immigrant related issues, & veteran services