Galena Park Middle School History
Galena Park ISD started out with a one-room school on the corner of Third and Main Streets, just a little offset from the present location of Galena Park Elementary School. The Clinton School, as it was known in 1918, was a frame building with one teacher who taught all grade levels in one room.
In the early 1920s, the local school taught through the eighth grade. Around 1921-1922, this was changed and ninth and tenth grades were added.
Around 1926, a two-story brick building was erected near the present site of Galena Park Elementary.
Two years later, in 1928, the name of the town and also the name of the school was changed from Clinton to Galena Park. At the same time, construction of a new high school building on Third Street was completed. The school was separated into elementary and high school divisions.
The schools, until that time, had been part of the county school system, operating as a common school district. In 1930, it became the Galena Park Independent School District.
On Friday, March 17, 1950, the present high school building was opened. The high school student body and faculty marched from the old building on Third Street, leaving it to the junior high students.
The cornerstone of the original site at 1700 3rd Street was placed in the corner of Galena Park Middle School on June 19, 1992, with a time capsule enclosed, which is to be opened June 19, 2042.
On December 18, 1992, students moved into the present day Galena Park Middle School.
We have come a long way from that one school room!!!