Welcome to Language Arts and Reading
The mission of the Galena Park Independent School District is to prepare students to become productive citizens and lifelong learners.
OUR VISION STATEMENT:
To provide a reading and language arts education that ensures proficiency in reading, writing, oral and written conventions, research, listening and speaking skills in a way that students maximize their capabilities and achieve their full potential.
OUR BELIEF STATEMENTS:
- We believe in the gradual release model when teaching new/complex skills
- We believe that formal and informal formative assessments should guide instruction
- We believe differentiation in the ELAR classroom helps address the literacy needs of all learners
- We believe that initial guided writing instruction leads to the implementation of writer's workshop
- We focus on the elements of organization, idea development, and written language conventions within writing instruction
- We believe in writing daily, as a way to help students process new information or showcase mastery of content and skill
- We believe guided reading instruction helps prepare students for success in a reader's workshop environment
- We believe in specific genre studies that lead to multi-genre integration within reading and writing
- We believe in the integration of reading and writing
- We believe in explicit, systematic, differentiated phonics instruction that is integrated through content areas