Credit by Examination Opportunities
Forms, Test Dates, and Other Information
The mission of this section of the webpage is to inform students, parents, and teachers of the Credit by Exam and Credit Validation dates available to Galena Park ISD Students.
Credit by Exam is designed for students that have never attempted to earn credit for a particular course or who wish to accelerate to the next grade level. Credit Validation is designed for students who have previously had instruction in a course, but did not earn credit. This could include students arriving to GPISD from an unaccredited school. Please read through the brochure below to familiarize yourself with this
2019-2020 Test Dates
July 23-25, 2019 - Deadline for registration: June 3, 2019
October 19, 2019 - Deadline for registration: September 13, 2019
January 25, 2020 - Deadline for registration: December 19, 2019
June 8-11, 2020 - Deadline for registration: April 17, 2020
July 21-23, 2020 - Deadline for registration: June 1, 2020
- Interested parents can print out a Credit by Examination/Credit Validation brochure and/or student application.
- Parents must then submit the completed application to their child's counselor for approval (a signature is required).
- Counselors complete the campus portion of the application.
- Once approved, the campus counselor or designated person on campus accepts payment from the student. The designee then immediately forwards a copy of he receipt (with the student's name on it) and the registration form to the Coordinator for Advanced Academics.
- The Coordinator for Advanced Academics will order the exams, secure a test site, make all needed arrangements, and return all completed tests to Texas Tech University for scoring.
- Once the results are received from Texas Tech, the Coordintor for Advanced Academics will forward the results to the parents and the campus.
- A student may receive credit for an academic subject in which he or she has had no prior instruction if the student scores a minimum of 80% on a criterion-referenced test for the applicable course. Credit for some secondary courses may be dependent on evidence of subject mastery in the form of a portfolio, student product, oral presentation, research paper, etc. If a student has had previous instruction, they would be taking a test for Credit Validation, which would require a 70% to earn credit.
- Credit for a course is only granted if the student passes all required portions of the test (i.e. Algebra I part A and Algebra I part B). For students wishing to test to another grade level, all tests must be passed for the student to be granted permission.
- If such credit is given, the District shall enter the examination score on the student's transcript. This score, however, shall not be used to calculate class rank.
Study guides are available here (be sure to review the study guide for your test prior to testing; some tests require reading or projects to be completed before arrival on test day).